Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Giving Thanks

"How can I say thanks for the things you have done for me?" That is the first line to a song I used to sing in church with my dad when I was little. It has been going through my head all day. It is a song intended to thank God for all the things He has done for us and you'd think that since it is so close to Thanksgiving... well, it makes sense. But this song has been going through my head today for a different reason; Scott and I have a task ahead of us. We need to write letters to the birth parents of our future child. Can you imagine? What a difficult task! We do not know who these people will be. We do not know where they will come from. We don't know their age, race, religion; all we know is that they will give us something amazing. And somehow we have to figure out how to tell them "Thank You" for this wonderful gift! We have to explain to them that we will treasure their child, our child, for the rest of our lives.
How do you convey your heart, soul, and entire being in only a page of words? How do we express who we are and what we are about? And let's think about it from their perspective-how do you choose who will care for your child for the rest of their lives from a couple letters and some pictures? Adoption is an amazing thing, but what a hard thing it is at the same time. Everyone involved is losing something. But in the end we all hope to gain so much more than we could ever imagine. In the end we hope to be a family. Not just Scott, me, and the child we adopt, but also his/her birth parents. No matter what level of involvement they choose to pursue, I hope that they can one day be a part of our family as well.
Now... how do I put this all into words for a mom who is hurting and trying to decide who will raise her child? Pray for me!
http://www.youcaring.com/adoption-fundraiser/loving-for-keeps/102675

No comments:

Post a Comment